Monday, March 5, 2012

What do you want your blog to be when it grows up??

Share it Please
This is a question that has been on my mind CONSTANTLY for sometime now, so the timing couldn't be more perfect for me. When I started this blog, I definitely didn't have any goals for it! Not a one, let alone 5! But today I am able to share what my goals are. I think of it sort of like this....
When you first find out your going to have a baby, you want to know all there is to know about pregnancy! Everyone and their mother gives you this book:

and all of you moms out there (you know who you are ;-)) have read more than you thought you would of this book!
Once you have the baby, at least one person will give you this book:


Now when it come to my blog, I feel like I had an unplanned blog prenancy. Like that show, "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant!" I always loved blogs, but I didn't know that I wanted my own! Now that my baby blog is born, I wouldn't change having her for anything!!
I have been learning along the way. Like all bloggy parents I make mistakes but, now that she is born I know what I want her to be when she grows up.

1.) Be true to me! "Be yourself, don't be a follower. People will like YOU for YOU!" I have read over and over in blogland "be authentic". It couldn't be more true. You don't have to try to be like the successful blogs that you love. They are successful because that's who they are. They wouldn't still be successful if they weren't being authentic. You can't live a lie forever, at least not successfully. So when you really want to be successful, first love what you do and second, stay true to yourself.

2.) Have a great group of friends! Before I began redoing furniture, I was a nail tech. I had a wonderful clientele! They were there for me, just as I was there for them (in good times and bad). My clientele didn't grow overnight, and it didn't just happen on it's own. I had to work for it. I had to tell people about my self and I relied on my loyal clients to spread the word about me. Blogging is no different! You have to get out there and network. I don't have a number in mind, just as you can't place a number on how many friends you will allow yourself to have. I have already "met" such great women on my short journey, I truly am looking forward to the relationships I will develop in the future!

3.) Have Sponsors! I don't have any sponsors at the moment (hint hint) but that is definitely one of my goals. This is another thing I didn't know anything about when I first started this blog, but I read someones post one day that changed my thinking. They said, 'why shouldn't you make money doing what you love? We spend a lot of time on our blogs because we love it, but our time is worth something!' I can't remember where I read that, but it is very true! When I was doing nails, a lot of my friends and family would come it and want their nails done, or a pedi, or a full set of nails. It took me along time (maybe years) to not say "Oh, I can't take money from you! Your family!" My mom always said, "Don't do it for free, your time is worth money!"  You may not make a lot of money, or you may make a terrific living, but either way you should still try. 

4.) Write an ebook! I went back to school a few years back and one of my favorite classes was a writing class. I thought I would hate it! But I loved it. I don't consider myself a writer, but I like to write. Sounds like my last post, do I BLOG or am I a BLOGGER? 
When I was little, I remember writing poetry. As I got older that continued, and I also wrote songs. I have always thought about writing a children's book. Or possibly one with character's and events from MY life, but then I don't think anyone would want to be my friend (JK!).Anyone reading this that knows me can stop laughing now! I think that an ebook is just the kind of book that is for me. So I don't want to say "who knows, maybe you'll see one in the future!" because being a serious goal I have to say, "You'll see one in the future!"

5.) Don't be afraid! I let a lot of things pass me by in life because of fear. Fear of being judged, fear of failure, and fear of putting myself out there. I don't want to fear those things here. Well, I'm sure I'll still fear them, but I don't want to let it hold me back! I want to try new things, meet new people, let you know that sometimes I have no idea what I am doing, and JUST GO FOR IT! I think it is also very easy as "a small" (you know you watch The Real Housewives of Atlanta!) to be intimidated by putting yourself out there with the "talls" for fear that you either won't know how to do something or won't do it right. I want to have my own link party (is that another goal?) but I'm not really sure how to do it. I'm not going to let that stop me! I'll learn. 

It's very important to have goals when you want to do something. Statistically people who write down their goals, achieve them more than people who don't!  Did you know that? So what are your goals??
I'd love to hear them! Leave a link to your "What do you want your blog to be when it grows up?"

Thanks for taking the time to read :-)

Pin It

LINKING UP TO 
Eclectically Vintage

7 comments:

  1. Jill
    What fabulous goals!

    I've got #1 & #2 down - it's been fun meeting great like minded gals along the way.

    Sponsors will come in the future (hopefully)! What a great goal to write an ebook - can't wait to read it!

    Yippie - another Real Housewives fan! Don't be afraid of those talls!! We may be small - but we're mighty!!

    So glad you joined our party!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great goals! And most impressive that you'd shoot towards an e-book! I'm excited to see what else you have up your sleeve!
    Holly @ Lifeasathrifter.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! write an ebook- good for you! these are good strong goals- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for linking up at the party. You have an incredible "voice" when you write (you are so authentic and funny) and I am so glad that you are staying true to that. Thanks for the inspiration.

    blessings,
    karianne

    PS Glad to be on this blogging journey with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill - thank you so much for following my little blog - Im following right back - you have a great blog xx Nat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jill,

    Such fabulous goals! Love the "be true to you" goal. I completely agree that the successful bloggers have maintained their "authenticity."

    Thank you so much for sharing your blog hopes and dreams at our link party!

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! Such wonderful goals Jill. When you start with being true to YOU you can't go wrong.

    Thanks so much for linking up to our party, sorry it has taken me so long to come and check out your goals.

    Happy to be a new follower,
    Karah @ thespacebetweenblog

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your opinions!

Total Pageviews